For decades, Spain has been one of the top holiday destinations for British holidaymakers. There is a reason why the special appeal of this Mediterranean country has not faded. In fact, there are many reasons: Spain offers excellent tourist infrastructure, a stunning diversity of landscapes, a mind-blowing selection of culinary delicacies, and a friendly and welcoming atmosphere that will make your stay thoroughly enjoyable. The country's cultural and natural treasures are a constant source of surprises and inspiration: this is the home of marvelous works of art, fascinating architecture, majestic mountains, and splendid beaches. To sum up, Spain is a safe bet regardless of your budget and the type of holiday you are after.
Blessed with a semi-tropical climate and with more than 3,000 hours of sunshine a year, a holiday to Benidorm is a clear winner when it comes to sun and beach holidays. With its spectacular seaside setting and golden sandy beaches, this is a great choice if you are after a cheap family holiday destination that delivers beyond your expectations. As for the range of amenities and places to stay, you will be spoilt for choice, as this resort offers exceptional value for money on hundreds of self-catering apartments, seaside resorts, and centrally located 4-star hotels.
The town is also ideally situated for those interested in day trips along the Mediterranean coast. There are several water and leisure parks within easy reach of the city centre, and beautiful natural spaces like Serra Gelada Natural Park or the Algar waterfalls are never too far away.
Last but not least, this Spanish resort caters to foodies with its ample selection of restaurants, tapas bars, and gastronomic events, and is also the ideal base to explore the surrounding wine country. This is definitely your kind of place if sun, wine, and good food are all you need for a relaxing holiday.
Barcelona & Costa Brava
Barcelona is the ultimate destination for a city break in the Mediterranean. The city's neighbourhoods have each their own character: from the elegant and classy flair of Eixample or Sarria to the ultra-modern spirit of Diagonal Mar and the Olympic Village or the bustling atmosphere in Ciutat Vella or Sants. Access to 8 city beaches, exclusive boutiques, award-winning restaurants, and a varied entertainment scene are other perks of a stay in Barcelona.
However, if you ask the locals about their favourite holiday getaway, the Costa Brava is likely to come up in most answers. Stretching for over 70 miles, the Costa Brava is the place to go if you need to escape from it all and still be within easy reach of a major city. The area's natural beauty has inspired artists like Dali and Picasso, and it also provides the perfect backdrop to romantic escapades or active holidays. Accommodation options range from quaint seaside hotels in fishing villages like Tossa to all inclusive resorts in medium-sized towns like Lloret or Malgrat.
Costa Del Sol & Marbella
With its fine beaches, perfect weather, and easy-going vibe, Costa del Sol is the right place to discover quintessential Spain. Average annual temperatures of 20°C make this destination perfect for a last minute holiday anytime of the year, although a holiday in this area is especially recommended if you can't wait to escape the winter blues.
This region is known for having one of the country's most vibrant entertainment scenes, with Marbella being the nightlife capital of southern Spain. The city is packed with exclusive cocktail bars, glamorous lounges, and famous nightclubs that attract celebrities and tourists alike. Here you will find endless opportunities to indulge in life's little pleasures: enjoying a round of golf with friends, treating yourself to a spa break, going for a sunrise or sunset swim, and sampling the best of Andalusian cuisine. In addition to Marbella, the towns of Fuengirola, Benalmadena, and Torremolinos offer excellent value for money if you are after a luxury break with all the bells and whistles – barely 3 hours away from the UK!
Seven islands, each offering a unique recipe for a memorable holiday in a natural paradise – that's what the Canary Islands are all about. Also known as "the lucky islands" in reference to their perfect weather, this volcanic archipelago offers something special to every traveller. If you are into adventure sports, you will have a fair share of adrenaline-laden activities to choose from in La Palma or Gran Canaria. If you are interested in wildlife watching and rainforest getaways, Gomera won't disappoint you. Tenerife is ideal for a budget family holiday, and nothing beats Fuerteventura if all you need is a blissful and relaxing holiday under the sun.
Despite their remote location, the Canary Islands offer everything you may need in the way of modern comforts, from huge shopping centres to fully equipped holiday apartments in the most desirable locations. Fly in, make yourself comfortable, and enjoy your well-deserved holiday in these extraordinary islands.
Attractions & Events
Here's a quick guide to the top attractions and events in Spain's most popular holiday destinations:
- The sunset in Poniente beach
- Boat trips to Peacock Island
- The tapas bars along Santo Domingo Street
- Terra Mitica (theme park)
- San Juan Festival on 24 June, when locals celebrate the shortest night of the year with stunning firework displays
- The Low Festival (July, a meeting point for lovers of indie music)
Barcelona & Costa Brava
Top attractions include:
- La Rambla – Gothic Quarter
- Gaudi's most acclaimed creations: la Pedrera, Sagrada Familia, and Parc Guell
- Shopping in Passeig de Gracia
- Going out in Maremagnum or Poblenou
Highlights of the local events calendar include:
- Sant Jordi (23 April, Catalonia's own version of St George's Day)
- The Sonar Festival (one of the most-awaited music and arts festivals in the continent, mid June)
- Havaneras (open-air Cuban-inspired music performances that take place all over the Costa Brava during the summer)
Costa Del Sol & Marbella
Top things to see, do, and experience:
- The Moorish architecture of the Old Town
- The nightlife scene at the Golden Mile
- Catch some rays at the best local beaches: El Cristo, Lindavista, and El Ejido
- Enjoy the most authentic atmosphere with a beer and your favourite tapas at a chiringuito (beach bar)
- Marbella's Starlite Festival: music, fashion, and movies in a glamorous open-air setting
- Immerse yourself in the local culture during the Feria de Marbella (mid-June, flamenco music, traditional dance performances, and gastronomic events)
Suggestions for a great holiday:
- From sunrise to sunset at Playa de las Americas: sunbathing, shopping, and partying all in one place
- The UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in Gran Canaria
- Whale and dolphin watching in Los Gigantes, Tenerife
- Horse riding and panoramic views of Spain's highest mountain at El Teide National Park
- Tenerife's Carnival (February) – one of the best in the world
Why Visit Spain
With so many attractions on offer, perhaps we should frame the question differently: why not treat yourself to a holiday in Spain? It's only a few hours away by plane and fun and great weather are virtually guaranteed. Get in touch with A1 Travel for advice on the top destinations and to find the best deals on all inclusive package holidays to Spain.